The National Leaders Conference is your opportunity to interact with a range of senior-level leaders in your network. For 2020, the audience will be 200+ Academic Leaders. Learn more here.
CAIS Top 12
#1: Vision, Mission, Values & Strategy
Over the past 15 years, writer and psychologist Madeline Levine has asked more than 100,000 people these two questions: "How many of you who consider yourself successful have followed the straight path? How many have followed the squiggly path?". In this article in The Atlantic, Levine says that the proportion of "straight arrows" is always, at most, 10 percent of the people who consider themselves successful and the remaining 90 percent have taken a meandering and unexpected path. Levine writes that those who consider themselves successful are passionate about the work they do: "the kind of passion that makes them work harder than others, welcome mistakes and even failures as learning opportunities, and feel that what they do has impact."
#2: Co-Curriculum & Learning Environments
#3: Academic Program
In this Getting Smart article, Tom Vander Ark, author of Better Together, Smart Parents, Smart Cities and Getting Smart, writes that Artificial intelligence (AI) is likely to be humankind's most important invention and now is the time to consider teaching students about AI and information technology. Vander Ark believes every high school graduate should be able to recognize AI, have the chance to use smart tools to attack challenges they care about and, if they are interested, have the opportunity to build AI.
Also worth a read: How Hands-On Projects Can Deepen Math Learning for Teens
#4: School Leadership
For the past few years, Principal Dave Geurin has shared a joke with his entire school to start each school day. He believes the effort to find a new joke every day is worth it to get each day off to a good start, and in the post, he lists many benefits that have come from this simple routine.
Elizabeth Speers is the Head of Tower Hill School and a trustee of Middlebury College. Writing for NAIS, she reflects on her experience talking to an economics class about governance, which left her with an appreciation for the importance of having students see the strong rapport between the Head and Board Chair. She now looks for impactful ways to show students what happens around a Board table as well as ensuring that parents understand the roles, functions, and expectations of Board Members.
#5: Human Resources
- Counsellors absolutely influence post-secondary achievement
- Supporting effective counsellor practices has value even when caseloads are high
- Counsellors can help students access information and opportunities
- We should leverage the potential of all educators in a school
#6: School & Community
Also worth a read: Don't Give Gifts to Donors
#7: Enrolment Management
#10: Physical Plant, Health & Safety
In this Getting Smart article, David Ross, who is a global education consultant, shares the stories of some of his colleagues in Asian schools about the current coronavirus outbreak in China, including Spencer Fowler, Head of School at the Dalton Academy on the campus of Peking University in Beijing. Fowler was ordered by the government to close his school a few weeks ago and, since then, he and his instructional staff had to move their entire program online. Ross expects this outbreak will shape educational policy and law for decades to come.
#11: Commitment to School Improvement
Julia Freeland Fisher, Director of Education Research at the Clayton Christensen Institute, writes about the value that "weak ties" -- relationships with less intimacy, time, and familiarity -- can offer: "access to new information, supports, and opportunities that our stronger-tie networks lack." She encourages schools to appreciate and support these relationships and offers four ways that weak ties can provide opportunity and support for students.
#12: Boarding Program
Recent CAIS Top 12
Please Note: The links we publish are primarily from outside sources – links to older items may have expired. We apologize for any inconvenience.