Prepare for senior leadership roles in independent schools with our Leadership Institute. Learn More & Register
The protection, safety and well-being of all students is a priority for CAIS. We hope all schools will maintain a culture of openness, including a willingness to recognise and accept that abuse can happen anywhere. We hope to do all we can do ensure every school includes robust structures, policies and procedures to support the effective prevention, reporting and handling of concerns about inappropriate behaviour toward students.
Prevention, Guidelines & Procedures
- Ontario College of Teachers: Professional Advisory - Duty to Report
- Responding to Reports of Sexual Abuse of Students, Past and Present – The Convergence of Attitudes and Expectations, TABS, 2016.
- Child Abuse Assessment Checklist, ICMEC.
- The Education Portal of the International Centre for Missing and Exploited Children: ICMEC and the International Task Force on Child Protection have joined forces to provide resources on how to prevent and respond to child abuse, neglect and sexual exploitation wherever you are in the world.
- Child Protection Handbook for Teachers, Administrators and Board Members, AISA, 2014.
- Sexual Harassment and Hiring, Miss Porter's School Policy (or visit website).
- Behaviors of Sexual Predators: Grooming, Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MCASA).
- The 5 Steps to Protecting Our Children by Darkness to Light.
- NAIS Resources Page: Preventing and responding to Educator Sexual Misconduct, NAIS (NAIS member login required).
- Child Sexual Abuse: Reporting Guidelines, NAIS, 2012 (NAIS Member login required).
- The Child Safety Outlook by Myra McGovern and Debra P. Wilson, NAIS (2014).
- Media Relations Tips for Independent Schools, NAIS, 2016 (NAIS member login required).
- Crisis Communications Guidelines for Independent Schools, NAIS, 2008 (NAIS member login required).
- Sexual Misconduct in Independent Schools: Minimizing Risk and Creating the Safest Possible Environment for All Community Members, NAIS, 2014 (NAIS member login required).
- Educator Sexual Misconduct: A Policy and Audit Guide for Protecting Children, EduRisk by United Educators (or visit website).
- Shine a Light: video that is designed to make you aware of potential situations of sexual abuse of children and teens on your campus, EduRisk by United Educators (or visit website).
- Insurance Archeology Group - organization that help schools locate/find/identify their legacy insurance coverage - reference provided by Lakefield College School
- Government (UK) publishes new Keeping Children Safe In Education Guidance for School and Colleges (KCSIE), Farrer & Co, May 2016
- Scouts has a Code of Conduct,Volunteer Screening Policy, Child Abuse Prevention Policy and Bullying/Harassment Policy on their web site. They say that third-party child safety experts form their Child and Youth Safety Advisory Committee provide training.
- Federation of Independent School Associations BC has a sample Child Abuse and Neglect Policy for employees of its schools.
- Victims of Violence is a federally registered charitable organization. They offer a variety of child protection materials and the SCREENING POTENTIAL ABUSERS section of their website is particularly good.
- CAIS Webinar: (CAIS member login required)
- Responding to Allegations of Sexual Misconduct, CAIS (2016).
- NAIS Webinar: (NAIS member login required)
Child Abuse Prevention Programs
- Red Cross (Canada)
Offers programs for young children, youth and adults to help protect children from child abuse and neglect and for adults to help make their school, organization, etc. a safer environment.
For adults they have a 2.5 hour online course called Respect in School, which is delivered in partnership with Respect Group Inc. They also offer Prevention in Motion (in person and online), in which participants learn to: respond to disclosures, follow organizational policies and the legal reporting process and develop strategies to protect children and youth.
- Commit To Kids
This program from the Canadian Centre for Child Protection provides strategies, policies, and a step-by-step plan for reducing the risk of child sexual abuse. The program encourages organizations to take an active, participatory role in protecting children in their care. The website includes a Program Overview Guide and they also offer online training, and a guide for small organizations. The package is $75.
- Little Warriors
Little Warriors is a national charitable organization based in Canada committed to the awareness, prevention, and treatment of child sexual abuse. The Prevent it! workshop was developed by researchers at the University of Alberta to teach adults about child sexual abuse. . The aim of the workshop is to teach adults about child sexual abuse, with a focus on helping adults develop tools to reduce children's vulnerability to sexual abuse. It is offered in select locations in Alberta, BC, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. There is no charge but donations are gladly accepted. Groups should be between 10-30 people Group Booking Form
- Policy and Procedure for Preventing, Identifying and Investigating Harassment, Abuse and Violence, Upper Canada College, 2007 - CAIS member login required.
- Standards and Boundaries for Teaching and Working with Students, Upper Canada College, 2004 - CAIS member login required.
- Serious Case Review of Southbank International School by the Local Safeguard Children Board, Hammersmith & Fulham, Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster, 2016.
- Ontario College of Teachers Cases of Teacher Sexual Misconduct, Taryn Mototsune (The University of Western Ontario), 2015.
- How did one of the worst paedophiles in history get away with his crimes?, The Guardian, 2016
- Private Schools, Painful Secrets, Boston Globe, 2016.
- Ex-Phillips Exeter Principal Censured, Boston Globe, 2016.
- Marlborough School says abuse victim endangered other students by staying silent, LA Times, 2016.
- Prep Schools Wrestle With Sex Abuse Accusations Against Teachers, NY Times, 2016.