The 2019 National Leaders Post Conference Call for Workshop Proposals are open until December 7. Apply here.
Responding to Allegations of Sexual Misconduct
Standard: Governance (Governance Series)
Date: May 18, 2016
- Reporting obligations to police, Ontario College of Teachers, parents, insurer
- Scope of internal investigation
- Responding to criminal investigations
- The challenges of historical abuse allegations
- Limitation periods
- Damage awards-loss of income/future care awards
- Establishing the standard of care expected of a school
Speaker: Mary Lynn Gleason
Mary Lynn Gleason is a partner in and member of the Health Law Group at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP. Her practice focuses on the defence of hospitals and their staff in medical malpractice claims. She has acted as counsel for hospitals, nurses, physicians and other health practitioners at inquests, civil trials, various levels of courts and administrative tribunals, including the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board. She has extensive experience in the defence of complex obstetrical brain injury medical malpractice cases. Mary Lynn also serves as general counsel to hospitals on a wide range of issues including privileges, policy, privacy and risk management issues. Mary Lynn has acted for a variety of institutional clients in the defence of abuse allegations.