Professional Development and Student event statuses are in flux as we respond to the guidance of health officials. View our event updates here.
Developing Leaders for Canada's Best Independent Schools
Dates: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 (Registration begins at 1:00 p.m. and Program begins at 3:00 p.m.) to Saturday, July 4, 2020 (Program ends at 12:45 p.m.)
Hosted by: Lakefield College School, Lakefield, ON (about a 2 hour drive from Toronto Pearson Airport)
To register and view more details, review the information below.
The CAIS Diploma in Independent School Leadership is designed to prepare participants for senior leadership roles in independent schools, particularly for Headships, by providing courses in most aspects of independent schools. It is expected that candidates will discuss participation with their Head of School.
Improving Our Programs
In response to ongoing surveys and as part of the CAIS Strategic Plan, we have developed a framework for leadership development (CAIS Leadership Praxis) and a pathway to guide participants as they seek leadership growth opportunities. For further details please read, Building the Future: The Importance of Leadership Development & Succession Planning in Our Schools
The Benefits of the Revised Program
Over the first 20 years of the LI program, modules were developed that addressed elements of leadership and specific operational school functions. Moving forward we have:
- Grounded our program in research and developing leadership knowledge and competencies in areas aligned with school effectiveness (the indicators of effective practice in our Accreditation Standards);
- Made plans to extend our module offerings to meet the needs of all aspiring leaders (not just those with academic backgrounds)
- Provided additional formal and informal time for participants to network;
- Included blended learning into our pedagogy
- Made plans to offer online modules beginning the fall of 2021
- Made connections between the Praxis framework and our Next Step and Heads’ Retreat
Leadership Modules offered during the 2020 summer li
The foundation of our Summer LI is that all participants will complete 10 modules in order to earn the Leadership Institute Diploma. Each module offered covers one of the key facets of leadership in independent schools and prepares the participant for senior leadership roles. In addition, the LI provides a vehicle for building professional relationships with colleagues across the country.
Empowering Leaders: Strengthening Coach-Like Conversations
Led by Heather Clayton
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Led by: coming soon.
Leadership in Environmental Sustainability
Led by: Michèle Andrews