CAIS Foundations for School Leadership Program: Designing a Practice
Supporting the learning and development of independent school leaders is a strategic priority for CAIS that supports school improvement and innovation. Recent CAIS research indicates a growing need for motivated, diverse, and expert leadership. The Leadership Praxis (Building the Future: The Importance of Leadership Development & Succession Planning in Our Schools), a framework of knowledge and competencies needed to be a successful independent school leader, reflects the Indicators of Effective Practice highlighted in the 2021 CAIS Accreditation Standards. The Praxis has guided the structure of the Leadership Institute, ensuring that it is intentional, comprehensive and organized to meet the needs of aspiring leaders.
This course provides a knowledge of leadership competencies and actions that meets you where you are in your career. With support from expert facilitators and the cohort experience you will gain a deeper sense of your strengths and areas for growth as you build both confidence and expertise.
Beginning in 2021, this five (5) day course will be offered each summer, and is a prerequisite for participants who wish to pursue the CAIS Diploma in Independent School Leadership.
The overarching goals are to:
- Establish a foundation of leadership knowledge and skills based upon the CAIS Leadership Praxis.
- Develop a deep understanding of the dispositions of effective leaders.
- Identify and design an intentional leadership practice that builds upon a participant’s personal and professional experience.
- Cultivate and integrate a pluralistic lens or mindset within the educational setting and beyond.
- Develop a network of professional colleagues.
Course components include:
- Pre-course Lumina Spark Profile Assessment.
- Pre-course work.
- Building a toolkit of competencies and knowledge of self and leadership practices.
- Developing cultural competence and awareness.
- Identifying key personal leadership practices.
- Synchronous and asynchronous learning opportunities in large and small groups and dyads.
- Practicing protocols for effective organization.
- This course is open to faculty and staff from CAIS schools ($1,080.00) and non-CAIS schools ($1,500.00) who are new to the CAIS Leadership Institute or who have begun the LI program in the Fall 2020 or Spring 2021. The fees are specific to online programs.
- The course will be presented online via Zoom from Monday, July 5 to Friday, July 9, 2021.
- Participants who complete this course and 10 modules in the CAIS Diploma Program will earn the CAIS Diploma in Independent School Leadership.
- This course will be offered annually during the CAIS Summer Leadership Institute
- Maximum capacity - 24 participants.
- For further information see CAIS LI FAQ’s or contact Don Kawasoe.