CAIS Independent School Leadership Diploma Program
Supporting the learning and development of independent school leaders is a strategic priority for CAIS that supports school improvement and innovation. Recent CAIS research indicates a growing need for motivated, diverse, and expert leadership. The Leadership Praxis (Building the Future: The Importance of Leadership Development & Succession Planning in Our Schools), a framework of knowledge and competencies needed to be a successful independent school leader, reflects the Indicators of Effective Practice highlighted in the 2021 CAIS Accreditation Standards. The Praxis has guided the structure of the Leadership Institute, ensuring that it is intentional, comprehensive and organized to meet the needs of aspiring leaders.
The transition to the restructured program begins in the Summer of 2021, view the dates here.
The overarching goals are to:
- Establish a foundation of leadership knowledge and skills across three areas of school leadership (Education Program, School Operations and Strategies and Structures) that takes into account the participants’ personal interests and professional experience.
- Cultivate and integrate a pluralistic lens or mindset within the educational setting and beyond.
- Develop a network of professional colleagues.
Participants New to the Diploma Program
- Participants new to the Diploma Program and intending to complete all the requirements in the program are required to begin with the CAIS Foundations for School Leadership Program: Designing a Practice.
- Leaders and aspiring leaders who do not intend to complete the Diploma may take a few specific modules without completing the Foundations program. Kindly declare your intention upon registration.
CAIS Diploma in Independent School Leadership Program Requirements Effective 2021
- Completion of the CAIS Foundations for School Leadership Program: Designing a Practice
- Completion of 10 CAIS Diploma modules (please see Module Offerings - Effective Summer 2021 below)
- Six (6) required modules (blue font below)
- Four (4) additional modules from any module category
Diploma Participants Who Registered Prior to Summer 2021
- Participants who complete the six (6) required modules and four(4) elective modules (10 in total), earn the CAIS Diploma in Independent School Leadership.
- Note that effective Summer 2020, Accreditation is no longer a required module.
- Participants who have completed Accreditation can count it as one (1) of the 10.
- Participants who have not taken Accreditation can take a different elective module.
- Modules offered Summer 2021, Fall 2021 and Spring 2022.
Required Modules to earn the Diploma - (if you started prior to restructuring)
Note that Accreditation is no longer offered - kindly take another elective module
- Academic Administration/Education Program Foundations
- Faculty Culture
Elective Modules to earn the Diploma - (if you started prior to restructuring)
- All other modules have elective status and there is no restriction in choice.
- Required modules plus electives to total 10 modules to earn the Diploma.
- For a list of possible electives, please see Module Offerings - Effective Summer 2021 below.