The 2018 National Leaders Post Conference materials can be found in CAIS Connect.
What is the Heads & Chairs Conference?
The Conference includes workshops for new Heads and new Chairs, notable Guest Speakers, separate sessions for Heads and Chairs, and the CAIS Annual General Meeting. Several other presentations and workshops take place, which vary each year.
The Heads and Chairs Conference offers an excellent opportunity for the most influential people in the Canadian independent school system to gather in one place to learn and share with colleagues.
2018 Heads & Chairs Conference
Date: October 14 - 16, 2018
Location: Hyatt Regency, Calgary, AB.
* New Heads and new Board Chairs will be invited to a welcome dinner on the evening of October 13th, followed by workshop sessions during the day on October 14th.
Accommodations: Book your stay at The Hyatt Regency Calgary using the CAIS special link below.Book your Accommodations
Registration: Attendance is mandatory for each Head and Chair of every CAIS school (associated conference fees are already included in membership fees). If a Board Chair cannot attend, then another Board member may attend in his or her place. Extra CAIS Board members, other association directors and non-CAIS Heads and Chairs are invited to attend. Everyone wishing to attend, mandatory or not, will have to fill out our registration form.
CAIS Annual General Meeting: Attendance is mandatory for either the Head or the Board Chair/elected Board member of each CAIS School. The AGM will take place over breakfast on October 16 at 8:00 am and you will be able to RSVP on the resgistration form.
Companion Program: Spouses and partners are always welcome to attend. Register companions here.
Please note that NON-CAIS Member Schools may only attend the Heads and Chairs Conference once. For more information on our CAIS policy, click here.
The online schedule will be available the week of August 20.
Pre-Conference for New CAIS Heads and New Chairs
Saturday, October 13 (pre-conference for new Heads and new Chair only):
4:00pm - 6:00pm pre-conference registration
6pm New Heads and new Chairs Dinner
Sunday, October 14 (pre-conference for new Heads and new Chair only):
Day workshop (times TBC)
Conference for all participants
Sunday, October 14:
9am conference registration opens
1:30pm Conference Starts
6:00pm Reception and dinner off-site
Monday, October 15:
Conference all day
Reception and dinner at the hotel
Tuesday, October 16:
8am Breakfast & Annual General Meeting for CAIS members
2:00pm Conference ends
The National Conference provides Heads and Chairs with the opportunity to:
- Listen to visionary speakers about significant issues focused on the selected conference theme
- Listen to speakers about educational issues, as well as national and international trends
- Engage in discussions around the theme and/or school improvement
- Attend the Annual General Meeting
- Be inspired and re-energized
- Enjoy a new area of Canada
- Spend time with Heads and Chairs all together; Heads and Chairs in separate groups; and individual school Heads and Chairs
- Network with colleagues from across the country
An important benefit of membership in our national organization is participation in the annual conference. Heads and Chairs are required to attend the annual Heads and Chairs Conference during which an Annual General Meeting is held.
If a Head is not able to attend, the Executive Director must be contacted prior to the conference. If a Head is not able to attend two consecutive years, the Board will review his/her school’s membership status.
If a Chair is unable to attend, he/she may appoint another member of their Board to attend.
The Annual membership fee invoice will include registration fees for the Head and Board Chair.
Who Should Attend?
- All Heads of School, Board Chairs and their spouses/partners that are members of CAIS;
- Heads of Schools and Board Chairs that are interested in becoming members of CAIS are invited to attend one conference;
- Executive Directors from aligned associations are invited by the CAIS Executive Director;
- Corporate sponsors and exhibitors that are strategically aligned with CAIS` vision and mission are invited to certain sections.
Save the Dates
2019 Heads & Chairs Conference
October 17 - 19, 2019
Niagara Falls, ON
* New Heads and new Board Chairs will be invited to a welcome dinner & workshop sessions. Dates and time to be confirmed.
Visit our Sponsor a CAIS event page for more information. If you are interested in becoming involved, please contact:
- (905) 684 5658
Registration will be live mid-July. More details will be posted here in coming weeks.