THE BISHOP STRACHAN SCHOOL
Girls can do anything.
Renowned for its expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, BSS offers a single-gender environment that helps girls achieve their best. Continually reaching forward, renewing itself and keeping time with the fast-paced changes and increasing demands of the complicated world its graduates will face, BSS believes girls can do anything and strives to give them the tools to achieve whatever dreams they conceive.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization – including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. If you wish to be part of a leading edge organization where staff love what they do and you have the right skills and attributes, we have the following opportunity:
STUDENT SERVICES – MIDDLE SCHOOL COUNSELLOR
Maternity Leave – November 19, 2012 to June 21, 2013
Reports to: Student Services Department Head
Liaises with: Team Leader Middle School
Summary of Position:
The BSS Middle School Counsellor role aligns with the School’s Mission, Vision and Values to support the academic achievement of all students as they prepare for the ever changing world of the 21st century.
The Middle School Counsellor is a flexible, positive, encouraging, and energetic member of the Student Services and Middle School teams. This counsellor understands Middle School as an exciting and challenging time for students, their parents and teachers. With a thorough knowledge in child and adolescent development, as well as middle level academic expectations, the Middle School Counsellor recognizes his/her role as integral to the total education program.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
· Consults and works with teachers in championing students’ learning by fostering strategies for success for both students and teachers
· Counsels individuals, small/large groups of students, and works closely with faculty members to help meet the social and emotional needs of girls
· Works closely with classroom teachers and has enthusiasm for this age group while being flexible and accountable
· Provides expertise to teachers on understanding, and implementing strategies of differentiation
· Builds meaningful relationships with girls and their parents
· Participates as a full member of the middle school teams (Grade 7 and Grade 8)
· Engages in problem solving
· Leads the middle school course selection process; resolve course conflicts and timetable changes
· Monitors and reviews student achievement during reporting cycle
· Works with Learning Resource Centre in order to ensure academic support exists where required
· In collaboration with the Middle School Learning Resource Specialist, reads, interprets, communicates and implements IEPs
· Other related responsibilities as required
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
· Ontario Teaching Certificate, including Intermediate qualifications
· Guidance Specialist and Special Education qualifications
· Minimum 5 years work experience working with adolescent girls
· Strong technology background in support of a community communication and laptop environment as well as awareness of adolescent interactions with technology
· Demonstrate and articulate a passion for innovation and creativity in education
· The proven ability to have a caring rapport with students
· Awareness of and interest in current research of adolescent girls in their academic and social/emotional development
· Demonstrated interest in and commitment to participation in School life
· Welcoming and friendly demeanor
· Dynamic team player with the proven ability to take initiative, multi-task, work under pressure, problem-solve and handle confidential information
· Strong organizational and time-management skills
· Interest in being part of an exciting dynamic learning community
· Sense of humour
· Familiarity with OSRs, PLEs, and course substitutions
Interested applicants should forward cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to email@example.com indicating Student Services Middle School Counsellor in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school
and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca