Greenwood College School
Position: Communications Officer
Position Type: Permanent, Fulltime
Reports to: Director, Advancement
Application Deadline: Monday, July 30th, 2012
Greenwood College School
Greenwood College School was founded to inspire young men and women to achieve success on their own terms, and to prepare them for the challenges and experiences of life through a focus on character. A co-educational independent day school for students in Grades 7 through 12, Greenwood embraces a student-focused education, inspiring young men and women to lead fulfilling lives. Our goal is to be the best school in Canada for personalized learning and innovative teaching. With a strong sense of community and a focus on the whole person, experiential learning is a key part of a Greenwood education.
Greenwood is currently seeking a Communications Officer:
The Communications Officer will contribute to the ongoing development and implementation of Greenwood’s communications plans, providing communications support and content management for a variety of projects and initiatives in Advancement and elsewhere at Greenwood College School. S/he will work primarily in online communications, but will also work on a range of print materials as required.
Reporting to the Director, Advancement, the Communications Officer will be a member of the Advancement team, supporting the Advancement program in an autonomous and highly professional manner. Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills are required, along with a solid understanding of social media and the new media environment.
- Maintains and enhances the school’s external website (which currently uses WhippleHill), including coordination and development of content, articles, media, and photos
- Develops, maintains and monitors online initiatives including social media outlets and online presence
- Coordinates mass email communications to parents, and other constituents, including information bulletins, invitations, etc.
- Serves as the editor of the school’s electronic newsletters for various Greenwood constituents, coordinating content, photos/illustrations, design and distribution
- Coordinates communications for annual giving appeal, including brochures, letters and pledge forms
- Coordinates development of materials for alumni and admissions, as well as other school communication pieces
- Coordinates communications for special events, including donor recognition events, parent social events, alumni events and graduation
- Develops personalized communications in conjunction with cultivation and stewardship initiatives
- Assists in the research and writing of funding proposals
- Develops articles, letters/correspondence, press releases, profiles, advertisements, etc.
- Participates in the development, implementation and measurement of effectiveness of marketing and communications strategies, plans and projects
- Acts as the coordinator of school photo and video bank and take photos as needed
- Works to ensure consistency of key messages, visual identity and graphic standards
- Contributes to the school’s external relations programs by building strong relationships with parents, alumni, donors, volunteers and staff
- Other advancement duties as required.
Qualifications, skills and abilities
· 3 to 5 years practical experience in online and other communications, preferably in an educational advancement or non-profit setting
· University degree, college diploma or combination of continuing education and experience
· Experience in web development (WhippleHill experience preferred)
· Experience working in and thorough knowledge of electronic communications and social media
· Excellent communicator – both written and oral
· Good graphic design skills
· Ability to work collaboratively and constructively in a team environment
· Autonomous, self-directed working style
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Strong attention to detail and accuracy
· Ability to set priorities, work to timelines and within budgets
· Mature, with sound judgment
· Eager to work in a dynamic, growing and busy environment
· Creative problem solver with a solutions-oriented approach.
Please send resume and cover letter via email to:
T. Ann Smiley, Director, Advancement
Those applicants who are invited to interview will be contacted following the closing date for applications. Thank you for your interest in Greenwood College School.